This is not about how something like this happens. This is about a MIRACLE. This is about ALL GLORY TO GOD. This is about a warm heart, a grateful spirit, a bounce in your step, tears of joy and a big happy smile.
- Born at 7 months, weighing 1.74 kg.
- Given Nevirapine to hopefully prevent HIV infection.
- Born with Trisomy 21 – Down syndrome – Which also means apart from global developmental delays, your immune system is deficient, and there might be other medical challenges.
From birth, life was challenging, a matter of survival:
- Admission to hospital happened at 14 months – weighing 3.8 kg, length 60 cm (Average of a full-term, healthy new born).
- ICU (Critical) – Artificial ventilation, Intravenous fluids, and Nasogastric feeding needed.
- Severe acute malnourishment, gastroenteritis, severe dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
- Water retention/swelling (Oedema) which added to the weight, which means the dry weight was actually less than 3.8 kg!
On the edge of the abyss.
And so the journey of healing begins.
- On chronic medication for an under-active thyroid.
- Adequate medical intervention.
- Good nutrition and hydration.
- Developmental and Physical Therapy.
- Negative for any other infections.
- Lots of love and care.
- Play, Play, Play
Through rigorous management from the Doctors, the nursing staff, Occupational, Speech and Physio Therapists and the Dieticians, this little angel’s condition slowly started to improve.
And THIS is what makes it even more beautiful. I see it every day. Children with fatal diseases, children with severe disabilities (children being treated in Government hospitals), they are not deemed as not important. They are not forgotten. They do not receive inferior treatment just because their chance of survival is small, or because they are severely disabled. God bless each and every nurse, therapist, dietician, doctor, etc. who DO CARE. Those who intervene into these kids’ lives to improve their quality of life, who fight and who do not give up no matter the odds.
YES, I also know the picture is not so rosy for far too many children in Government hospitals in this country. Not all children receive the same dedication, care and interventions. It is an absolute shame.
But, today is for celebration.
Today is about a 17-month old little human, now weighing 5.4 kg, with a FIERCE spirit. A little angel who held on for 14 months before help arrived. Now bouncing and laughing with bright eyes and a happy smile. Loves to play, and LOVES to eat… Thriving.
A little angel who touched the hearts of everyone in the hospital.
A little angel who is now safe in the arms of another angel. Someone who made a choice to not only love her own children, but on a daily basis open her heart to other children who need care, love and protection.
Let us not become weary in doing good.
Let us not think the little we can do is insignificant.
We are all created in the image of God. His spirit dwells within us.
It is not in the great and mighty earthly things we can achieve, that reminds us of this.
It is in the eyes of a tiny, tiny human being that we see ourselves for who God has made us to be.
Written by GCF employee, Glenda Emmerson